Thursday, April 26, 2012

Fam(ILY)

What is family? Is your family those you share blood relation with? Is your family those friends you can't imagine life without? In Hawaii, the word "ohana" means family. This word is used not only for blood-relatives, but close friends as well. I would consider that true for myself. I heard a quote one time that I just love! "People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime. When you figure out which one it is, you will know what to do for each person." I am grateful for everyone who has ever been a part of my life, but those lifetime people- I don't know what I would do without them! My friends mean so much to me, but even more than that, my family is my cornerstone! So- here's where I start bragging on MY family- at least my immediate family.

My sisters mean the world to me! We may not always get along the best, and I may not spend as much time with them as I would like to, but life without them- NO THANKS! Mary and Claire are both older than me and ever since I can remember, I have looked up to them. They are so talented and just a joy to be around! Except for that time when I was little that they told me the hairdryer would suck my brains out. Or that the sauteed onions in my food were worms my mom was trying to make me eat. Or when they told me to name one of my paper dolls Feces because it was a cool name. Or... well. I guess that's all in the past now! I always enjoyed being their guinea pig for makeup and hair (even if my brains got picked out with bobby pins a time or two). I always wanted to be around them, because more than just looking up to them, they were a comfort to me, and still are! I don't think they realize how much they mean to me and how much I appreciate them- and that's not something I should be proud of.

I have another sister as well. I recently had the privilege of meeting Allison. My dad had her before I was born and she stayed with her mom. I grew up never knowing about her until a few years ago. I finally found her and we started talking a couple years ago. She lives a few states away, but Andy and I were able to make it down there for her wedding this past October. Meeting her for the first time was like a dream! It was like finally meeting a missing piece of myself. I enjoy talking to her and getting to know more about her life. I just wish we lived closer so we could get to know each other even better!

My gramma is such an extraordinary lady! If there was ever one regret I had in my life dealing with other people, it would be how little I have shown my appreciation and love for my gramma. She has done so much for me and I have taken her for granted too many times. I remember watching Jeopardy every day with her when I was younger. I've also always enjoyed playing games with her too (except I could do without her Pictionary skills). There is so much more I could have been learning from her over the years. I have decided to ask her to spend a little bit of time each week to just hang out- just the two of us. I look forward to learning more about her life and just talk about anything in general. I love my gramma!

Last, but most definitely not least, my mother. My hero. My rock. She has been through so much hurt in her life. She has overcome so much. God has truly blessed me with an incredible mother. She loves God with everything in her and has lived her life as an inspiration to me. She has been my strength through so much, even though I'm sure in those moments she thought I wanted nothing to do with her. So many times I have been a total poop head to her, but what she doesn't realize is it has been those moments when I've been the most grateful for her!

I have been blessed with an amazing family. I wouldn't know what to do without a single one of them. My mom, gramma and sisters have all played a huge roll in who I am today. I thank God everyday for allowing me to be part of such an incredible group of women.

Does your family know how much you appreciate and love them? Don't let another moment go by without showing them how much they mean to you!

Well- I need to go make dinner. Or at least cook up the three pounds of hamburger meat sitting in my fridge before it goes bad! I hope you will join me for more Sarahnading later! Go make it a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment